Insect Sting Allergy
Most insect stings produce only local discomfort with minimal swelling. Occasionally, insect
stings can cause an allergic reaction, including severe localized swelling, hives, nausea, swelling
of the tongue, and difficulty breathing. An even more severe allergic reaction, anaphylaxis, can
occur within minutes after the sting and may be life threatening. Allergic reactions to stings can
occur even after many normal reactions to stings, and can happen at any age. People who have
experienced an allergic reaction to an insect sting have a very high likelihood of a similar or
worse reaction if stung again.
The long-term treatment of insect sting allergy is called venom immunotherapy, a highly
effective program administered by an Allergist, which can prevent future allergic reactions to
insect stings. Venom immunotherapy involves administering gradually increasing doses of
venom to decrease the patient’s sensitivity to the venom. Treatment can take up to 5 years but
it is life changing. People who previously lived under the constant threat of severe reactions to
insect stings can return to leading normal lives.
If you have had an allergic reaction to an insect sting, it’s important that you see an allergist. Dr.
Stephen Fritz has been providing venom immunotherapy for twenty plus years and is dedicated
to using the most advanced allergy treatments to ensure his patients are able to breathe better,
feel better, and live better.